Book Review: Cujo

Cujo - Stephen King

Being a Stephen King's fan, I knew even before starting the book that I'm in for another horrific journey. And believe me when I say I wasn't disappointed! King is one of the best authors I've ever read and this book is yet another masterpiece. The characters were very well built and so was each and everyone's background story. I loved Tad, Vic and Brett and of-course Cujo (just as an individual character and not personally.) The story establishes and takes direction slowly and steadily and prepares you well enough for what comes next, an unexpected emotional roller-coaster ride. As the story progresses, and as it's King's speciality, you come to know each and every character personally and can very well understand their psychology, actions and reactions, in this case, including a dog (Cujo). That said, King's description of Cujo's emotional state and things from his point of view, are the best things about the book. At the end I started to feel sorry for his condition and also the end.

The only thing wrong about the book was the ending. It ended on a very bad note. I'm not disclosing the end here, as it will spoil the end for some readers, but I'll just say that the end really freaked me out! And for that only I'm cutting back on 1 star.

Cujo is an amazing book with lots of drama, thrill and horror in equal proportions. It'll be an excellent read for the genre's lovers but if you hate strong emotional and bad endings, then you'll better do without it!

You can also read this review at The Reading Bud.